Political calls are a necessary part of the democratic process, but what happens when you get one on your iPhone?
Do you know your rights as a receiver? If you’re unsure what a political call is or how to stop them, read on!
In this blog post, we will discuss political calls, how to prevent them from happening on your iPhone, and what to do if you receive one.
What Does a Political Call Mean on iPhone?
Political calls are a type of robocall that is designed to promote or oppose a political candidate or issue. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulates these types of calls in the United States.
The FCC requires that all political calls must include a disclosure at the beginning of the call stating who is behind the call and that the call is not authorized by any candidate or political party.
How to Stop Receiving Political Calls?
There are different methods to stop receiving political calls on your iPhone.
1. Add Your Number to The Do Not Call List
Many people receive political calls on their iPhones that they did not sign up for. If you are one of these people, you can do a few things to stop the calls from coming through.
The first thing you can do is add your number to the National Do Not Call Registry.
This registry is designed to stop sales calls from coming through to your phone, and it will also stop political calls and spam calls from coming through as well.
The Do Not Call list is a registry maintained by the Federal Trade Commission that helps to protect consumers from unwanted telemarketing calls.
To add your phone number to the list, you can either visit the website www.donotcall.gov or call 1-888-382-1222 from the number you wish to register.
Once you have added your number, it will remain on the list for five years unless you remove it or it is disconnected and reassigned to a new owner.
You should begin seeing a reduction in telemarketing calls within 31 days of placing your number on the Do Not Call list.
In addition, companies that violate the rules of the Do Not Call list can be fined up to $16,000 per call.
As a result, registering for the Do Not Call list is an effective way to reduce unwanted telemarketing calls.
2. Block the Number
Another thing you can do is block the number that the political call is coming from. You can do this by going to your iPhone’s settings and finding the “block list” feature.
Once you have added the number to your block list, you will no longer receive calls or texts from that number.
3. Report to FCC
If you are still receiving a political call on your iPhone even following the above methods, then you can do a few things to report it.
First, you can file a complaint with the FCC. You can also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, which is the agency that oversees the National Do Not Call Registry.
Finally, you can contact your state’s attorney general’s office to file a complaint.
How Do Political Parties Get Your Phone Number?
There are a few ways that political parties can get your phone number.
- One way is through voter registration databases. When you register to vote, your contact information is made available to political parties and candidates.
- Another way is through surveys and polls. People who participate in surveys will often be asked for their contact information so they can be followed up.
- Finally, parties and candidates can also purchase lists of phone numbers from marketing companies. These lists usually contain demographic information about the people on the list, which can be used to target specific groups of voters.
- In some cases, party volunteers will go door-to-door collecting contact information.
Whether you’re registered with a party or not, it’s likely that your phone number is already in the hands of several political organizations.
How to Remove Yourself from a Political Mailing List?
Anyone who has ever been on a political campaign knows that once you’re on the list, it’s hard to get off.
Whether you sign up for a candidate’s mailing list at an event or fill out a survey online, you may find yourself inundated with requests for money and pleas for votes.
If you’re looking to remove yourself from a political mailing list, there are a few options.
- First, most campaigns will have an unsubscribe link at the bottom of their emails. Simply clicking on this link will take you off the mailing list.
- You can also try contacting the campaign directly and asking to be removed.
- Finally, you can always mark the emails as spam if all else fails. This won’t stop them from coming in, but it will help keep them out of your inbox.
Political calls can be a nuisance, but you can take the steps explained in this article to protect yourself from them.
By understanding what a political call is and how parties obtain your contact information, you can be better prepared to deal with them.
In addition, adding your number to the Do Not Call list effectively reduces the number of unwanted calls you receive. And if you still receive a political call, you can report it to the FCC or your state’s attorney general’s office.
Thanks for reading! We hope this article was helpful. Please contact us if you have any questions or want to learn more about political calls. We are always happy to help!