If you are the owner of a MacBook Pro, then at some point, you will need to replace the battery. How much will it cost to do this?
The cost of a battery replacement can vary depending on the model of the MacBook Pro you have, as well as the store where you buy the replacement battery.
In this blog post, we will look at what factors affect the price of a MacBook Pro battery replacement and offer some tips on getting the best deal possible.
How to Check Whether Your MacBook Pro Battery Needs Replacement?
Try the following methods to make sure whether your MacBook Pro battery needs replacement or not.
- Use the built-in macOS battery health indicator to check the state of your batteries.
- In the top-left corner, click the Apple menu. From there, choose “About This Mac,” then “System Report,” and “Power.”
- Verify the cycle count, which should be less than 1000. Higher numbers can signify replacement.
- Performance issues include lowered performance, sudden shutdowns, or reduced battery life.
- Run Apple Diagnostics to look for any potential battery problems.
- Watch for any modifications to the battery icon, such as irregular or declining performance.
- Seek Apple Support for a professional battery evaluation.
Likewise, if your battery is no longer holding a charge, or if it has stopped working entirely, then you need to replace it.
How Can You Check the Battery Cycles on Your MacBook Pro?
The battery of your MacBook pro is an important component that you need to take care of. Over time, the battery will wear down, and it won’t last as long as it did when it was new.
However, there are a few things you can do to extend the life of your battery, such as calibrating it and checking the cycles.
- Checking the cycles on your MacBook Pro is easy and can be done in just a few steps. First, open System Preferences and click on “Energy Saver.” Then, under “Battery,” click on “More Info…”. This will open a window displaying the current cycle count and the maximum cycle count.
- If you want to see how many cycles your battery has been through, you can use a third-party app like coconutBattery. This app will tell you how many full cycles your battery has gone through, as well as the current state of your battery health.
- If your MacBook pro’s battery is starting to wear down, you may want to consider replacing it. Apple offers a Battery Replacement Service, which allows you to replace the battery on your MacBook pro for a fee.
- Taking care of your MacBook pro’s battery is crucial if you want to get the most out of it. By checking the cycle count and calibrating the battery, you can help to extend its life. If your battery is starting to wear down, you may want to consider replacing it. Apple offers a Battery Replacement Service that allows you to replace the battery on your MacBook pro for a fee.
How Much Will it Cost to Replace the Battery on a MacBook Pro?
Replacing a MacBook Pro battery is important for maintaining optimal performance while extending the battery life of your device.
The price of a new battery for your MacBook Pro depends on the model and size of the screen. The prices for the various MacBook Pro versions are given below:
Depending on the model year and specifications, MacBook Pro battery replacement normally costs between $129 and $199.
For instance, the 2020 13-inch MacBook Pro’s battery replacement costs about $129, although earlier versions can be less expensive. It’s important to remember that costs could differ slightly depending on the service provider and area.
The latest 16-inch MacBook Pro’s greater size and more advanced features result in a significantly higher cost for battery replacement. For this model, a new battery might cost $199.
Is it worth replacing the battery on the old MacBook Pro?
It may be worthwhile if changing the battery on an old MacBook Pro improves performance and increases usability. If the laptop fulfills your current needs and specifications, it’s a more affordable option than buying a new one.
Increased battery life boosts productivity and mobility while possibly resolving problems like unforeseen shutdowns. However, consider the overall state of the laptop, the cost of a replacement, and potential upgrades in the future.
By considering these aspects, you can determine whether buying a new battery is a wise move in order to extend the life and functioning of your old MacBook Pro.
Tips for Replacing your MacBook Pro Battery
- Ensure that you have the correct model number of your MacBook Pro before purchasing a replacement battery. This information can be found on the bottom of your laptop.
- If you are not comfortable replacing the battery yourself, take your laptop to an authorized Apple service provider. They will be able to do it for you.
- If you are covered by AppleCare, make sure to take advantage of the free battery replacement.
- When you are buying a new battery, you must always check the warranty and ensure that you are getting a good deal.
How to Get a Better Deal on A New MacBook Pro Battery
- Check online retailers like Amazon and eBay to see if you can find a better price than what Apple is offering.
- Check with local electronics stores and see if they have any special deals or offers on MacBook Pro batteries.
- Always compare prices before making your final decision.
- Try finding a store that offers a discount for students or military personnel.
- Wait for a sale as many stores offer discounts on batteries during certain times of the year.
- Finally, consider buying a refurbished battery. Refurbished batteries are usually cheaper than new batteries, but they still come with a warranty from the manufacturer.
If you need to replace the battery on your MacBook Pro, be sure to shop around and compare prices. By doing so, you can get the best deal possible and save yourself some money!
Can You Change the MacBook pro Battery Yourself?
Replacing the battery on a MacBook Pro is not a difficult task, but it can be challenging if you are not unfamiliar with the procedure. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, take your laptop to an authorized Apple service provider.
Here are some tips for changing the battery on your MacBook Pro:
- First, make sure that your MacBook Pro is turned off and disconnected from any power source.
- Next, remove the screws on the bottom of your device using a Torx T5 screwdriver. There are three screws in total. BE CAREFUL not to lose them!
- Once the screws are removed, gently pry the case open using a plastic pry tool.
- Once the case is open, you will see the battery attached to the logic board. Disconnect the battery by gently pulling on the connector cable.
- Finally, remove the old battery and replace it with a new one. Ensure that the connector cable is properly connected, then close up the case and reattach the screws.
- That’s it! You have successfully replaced your MacBook Pro’s battery yourself. Enjoy your longer battery life!
Apple Original vs Third-Party Replacement Options
Following are the pros and cons of replacing your battery from official Apple stores and third-party vendors.
Original Apple Battery Replacement
Authenticity and Quality: Genuine parts and compatibility are ensured by Apple’s original battery replacement, preserving the MacBook’s performance.
Guarantee Protection: Apple offers a guarantee for battery replacements, providing security and further assistance.
Certified Technicians: The replacement is performed by qualified experts, lowering the possibility of mistakes or laptop damage.
Software Integration: Apple’s original battery and battery management software work together seamlessly to maximize performance.
Higher Price: Compared to third-party alternatives, replacement Apple batteries are often more expensive.
Limited Availability: Original batteries may be more difficult to locate depending on the model of your MacBook Pro.
Third-Party Battery Replacement
Cost-effectiveness: Third-party alternatives are frequently more affordable, making them a desirable choice for those concerned about their expenses.
Greater Availability: Batteries for older MacBook Pro models that Apple no longer supports may be accessible from third-party replacement sources.
Quick Turnaround: Local repair shops or online providers can offer quicker turnaround times for battery replacement.
Competitive Features: Some aftermarket batteries tout capacities comparable to or even greater than those of the original Apple batteries.
Quality Concerns: Not all third-party batteries are of the same quality, and some could have shorter lifespans or problems with compatibility.
Voiding Warranty: Choosing a third-party replacement could violate your warranty if your MacBook Pro is still covered by it.
Potential Risks: Damage or decreased performance may result from inexperienced technicians or improper installation.
Software Integration: Third-party batteries might not work perfectly with Apple’s battery management software, which could impact accuracy and performance.
Is Replacing a MacBook Pro Battery Worth it?
Yes, it is worth replacing a MacBook Pro battery. If your battery is swollen, bulging, or leaking, then you should replace the battery as soon as possible.
If your battery is still holding at least 80% of its original capacity, you can wait until the end of your MacBook’s warranty to have the battery replaced. However, if your battery only holds 40% or less of its original capacity, then you should replace it as soon as possible.
So, if you follow these tips, you should be able to get the best deal possible on a new MacBook Pro battery. Replacing the battery in your MacBook Pro is essential for maintaining the device’s longevity, so make sure to compare prices from different stores before making your purchase.
In conclusion, the cost of a battery replacement for a MacBook Pro can range from $79 to $199. However, there are a few things that you can do to save money on a battery replacement, such as shopping around and taking advantage of discounts.
So, if your MacBook Pro battery needs to be replaced, be sure to take your time and compare prices before purchasing. Thanks for reading!